PRESS RELEASE – AUGUST 31, 2023
RAPIDAN SERVICE AUTHORITY
WILDERNESS WATER SYSTEM – WATER RESTRICTIONS
The Rapidan Service Authority announced today that the water levels in the Rapidan River have reached the stage that require mandatory water restrictions.
Conditions in our DEQ issued water withdrawal permit require that RSA take this step.
This situation does not mean that RSA is running out of water. We monitor the level of the Rapidan River daily and still have an adequate supply of water.
Under these mandatory restrictions, the following water uses are not allowed:
- The unrestricted watering of shrubbery, trees, lawns, plants, home vegetable gardens or any other vegetation, except when using a watering can or hose with an automatic shut off device. Gardens, bedding plants, trees, shrubs, and other landscape materials may be watered with sprinklers or other automated watering devices at the minimum rate necessary but in no case more frequently than twice per week. Irrigation should only occur between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m.
- Newly sodded or seeded areas may be irrigated at a rate not to exceed one inch in any 7-day period for no more than a period of 60 days.
- All allowed lawn irrigation must be applied in a manner to assure that no runoff, puddling, or excessive watering occurs.
- The washing of streets, roads, sidewalks, driveways, garages, parking areas, the exterior of homes or apartments, commercial or industrial buildings or any other outdoor surface, unless mandated by local, state or federal law.
- The operation of ornamental fountains, artificial waterfalls, or any other structure with a similar use of water.
- Use of water to fill and top off outdoor swimming pools is prohibited except as further detailed on RSA’s website.
- Tap water may be served in restaurants, clubs, or eating-places only at the request of customers.
- Use of water from fire hydrants for any purpose other than fire suppression, unless approved by RSA’s General Manager or his designee.
Should a prolonged water emergency occur, the Rapidan Service Authority is authorized to implement further restrictive measures in order to conserve water.
For additional information, please see below.
Questions can be addressed by calling RSA at (540) 972-2133.